Churches and Cemeteries:

Heckfield St Michael  | Heckfield Cemetery The Church at Mattingley  |  All Saints Swallowfield | St John The Evangelist Farley Hill |
| St Mary The Blessed Virgin Hartley Wespall  | Streatham Park Cemetery  | Streatham Cemetery |

Photographs are presented here as thumbnails.  Click on the thumbnail and a full-sized picture will load in a new window. 
Warning !  Photographs  may take a while to load.  Please be patient.

Heckfield St Michael:

The church of St Michael is 13th Century Anglican. It served as the parish church for both Heckfield and Mattingley until 1863. The churchyard was closed to new burials in 1885. The parish records date from 1538. St Michael's can be found in Church Lane, Heckfield RG27
The Church of St Michael, Heckfield The Churchyard at St Michael    
These photographs were taken October / November 2006 while I was on a course at the neighbouring Highfield Park.

These gravestones have been moved from their proper location and are currently standing against the church wall (2005).

Elizabeth Sarah Barnes
(Died of typhus fever aged 17)
George Barnes
(Brother of Elizabeth, died the same year)
Edward Barnes  
     
Back to Top    
     

Heckfield Cemetery:

   
Heckfield Cemetery has been open for burials since 1885. It is on land donated by the Lord of the Manor at the time. Referred to locally  as the 'New Cemetery'. The cemetery can be found on the B3349 almost opposite the entrance to Church Lane. There is a small lay-by with steps up to the cemetery entrance.

It is a very small cemetery and was accepting burials up to 2004 at least.

These photos were taken in July 2004 and June 2005.
The gravestone of
Thomas and Ann Barnes
The gravestone of
Arthur and Gertrude Barnes
Heckfield Cemetery Heckfield Cemetery Heckfield Cemetery Heckfield Cemetery
The ground in the cemetery is very uneven and this is probably due to the removal of a number of gravestones. Some gravestones are leaning against the boundary fence of the cemetery close to the entrance.
George Barnes William and Jane Barnes    
Back to Top      
       

The Church at Mattingley:

     
The church at Mattingley was converted from 14th Century tithe barn (as can be clearly seen from the photographs).
Church at Mattingley  Church at Mattingley Church at Mattingley  
Churchyard at Mattingley Churchyard at Mattingley Churchyard at Mattingley Churchyard at Mattingley
The photographs of the church and churchyard at Mattingley were taken on a lovely hot day in September 2005. Unseasonably hot for the time of year!
Church at Mattingley Churchyard at Mattingley Churchyard at Mattingley  
       
Back to Top      
       

All Saints Swallowfield:

All Saints Church All Saints Church All Saints Churchyard All Saints Churchyard
All Saints Churchyard All Saints Churchyard All Saints Churchyard All Saints Churchyard
The parish of Swallowfield includes the villages of Swallowfield, Riseley and Farley Hill and the hamlets of Stanford End and Riseley Common.

Swallowfield Church was built by Sir John Le Despencer, in 1256. He had to obtain special permission from the Pope for it to be built.  These photographs taken 10th April 2006.
All Saints Church
Church Road
Swallowfield
RG7 1TJ

 
All Saints Church All Saints Church    
Back to Top      
       

St John The Evangelist, Farley Hill:

Yet to be visited     Chapel St. John the Evangelist
Church Road
Farley Hill
RG7 1TS

St Mary The Blessed Virgin, Hartley Wespall:

   
The church is surrounded by farmland and the surrounding area has changed little.     Wooden porch featuring stained glass windows
Stained glass window inside the porch over the entrance to the church Stained glass window inside the porch over the entrance to the church Stained glass window inside the porch over the entrance to the church Stained glass window inside the porch over the entrance to the church
  View of the Churchyard View of the Churchyard View of the Churchyard
The church of St Mary The Blessed Virgin dates back to 1320 and features massive timbers on the West wall and also inside the church. The pulpit dates back to about 1635. Inside are memorials to John Waspail (1448) and John Keate, Master of Eton and Rector (1852). The church serves a population of 300 in Hartley Wespall and Stratfield Turgis.
(Scanned image from postcard kindly provided by Kieran Sidley)
The date of this view of the church is unknown but little has changed since this view was painted. Compare to the photographs taken in 2006. The barn seen behind the church is there to this day. All photographs taken in June 2006.  
       
Back to Top      

Streatham Park Cemetery:

Photos taken on a very cold 29th December 2005.
The ashes of Charles John Barnes
are scattered here
Are you a Will Hay fan?
(Not a member of the family!)
A relation? A relation? 
       

Streatham Cemetery:

Yet to be visited

     
       
       
       
       
       
Back to Top